Friday 10 February 2017

Stressed, Depressed but Well Dressed



This is a quote my colleague uses often for describing the ‘stress’ and related ‘depression’ common among our generation. Crumbling family and social structures, challenged work-life balance, peer pressure to grow and an expanding economy offering innumerable opportunities. Add to it the social media need of looking good and feeling good. We are a generation of ‘stressed, depressed but well dressed’ individuals.

I have added a small variation to this quote – resources compressed, emotions suppressed, but still well dressed.

From suffering movie stars to suicidal fashion models, from academic conferences to stand-up comedy shows, from guest lectures to self-help forums – the word depression seems omni-present. It seemed like the flavor of the day too…..at least 3 articles of the magazine I was flipping through, were referring to it in some form or other. I quickly kept it back on table, as if I was fearful of catching the infection through those pages.

As I moved to the coffee vending machine, a colleague walked up. He was wearing new bright red shoes. I complimented him on his newly acquired asset. He smiled, “I bought these online. A retail site was offering massive discounts. I was a bit skeptical about the color." He smiled, “but I am hoping these will make me feel brighter.” He added with a winking smiley on his face. I didn’t make much attempt to understand the color-therapy details he shared. 

Back at my desk, my smart phone notification showed an update from an old-time friend. He had posted a pic with his swanky new car. Happy to see his progress I decided to make a congratulatory call. “I needed something to cheer me up.” he admitted. “My current job is too demanding. With this new possession I at least feel like driving down to office.” Spending nearly one-third of his annual pay-check as motivation to earn the remaining two-third. There must be some math in it which I couldn't get. 

There was also an update from my neighbor, a fashionista, who is ‘hyper-active’ on social media and a pro at selfie-art. She also owns a brand of kids’ wear, which she sells through select outlets. Being a mom and an entrepreneur at the same time is not easy, she often says. You can give 100% of your time and energy to each, and yet there is scope for more. “For me a smiling picture-of-self works like a therapy. A reminder that I can be happy even in middle of this madness.”

I kept the phone away. It seemed to be echoing the same sentiment. 

A tap on my shoulder made me look up from laptop. “Nice color”, my colleague chuckled. “Same to you”, I noticed that he was dressed in formal business attire. The brand logo on the shirt pocket was adding to its ‘chique’ appeal. “I have a customer presentation today. Haven’t slept properly for a week now. And this is just the beginning of a series of meetings. Not sure how I am going to survive it. But you are looking good today.” He hurried off without waiting for a reply.

I turned back to my laptop with a smile. Who could guess that the words at top of my mind at the moment are – stress, compress, suppress and depress……and maybe I am too....




Let me get back to work now. If I think and say too much, the bug may bite me too.

No comments: