Monday 8 April 2019

With Love.....From India

"Main tumse pyar karta hun!!! Bahut pyar karta hun!!" (I love you. I love you loads.)

I looked at the big sparkling eyes and smiling face delivering the rehearsed speech.

"So who is your favorite?" I asked. "Of course, the King Khan!" She made it sound so obvious that I couldn't help but smile. Almost as if there cant be another possible answer to my question.

Born and brought up in a not-so-remote corner of Africa, she was a walking and talking encyclopedia on everything Bollywood. These movies have been her guide book on India and its people. For next half hour or so she was sharing with me her views and reviews on movies, movie stars, their personal and professional choices, their strengths and weaknesses and their upcoming ventures. she had done extensive research on their career graphs, mapping exceptional performances, highlighting the highs and lows, and monitoring changes.

"Have you ever been to India?" I asked at some point in between. "No, not yet. I am not ready for it." She seemed hesitant. "I need a lot of money before I plan that trip. I know I will end up buying almost everything there. So I need to be sure I have enough money to be able to purchase that stuff." Her eyes twinkled at the thought.

From Indian food, to Indian dresses, from our culture to our festivals, she loved everything Indian. And this was only and only because of the movies she had been watching since a teenager. Now more than a decade later she had managed to gather sufficient information about the place of her dreams - the land of colours, land of dance and music, land of beauty, land of aromas and the land of love and laughter.

I wasnt sure if I should have mentioned it to her that we are as human and as normal as people in any other part of the world. Maybe I just wanted her to continue believing in the world she had imagined. The world she dreams about. And to let her love it the way she sees it. Bahut bahut pyar ke saath (With lots of love).

No comments: